Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I am proud to be Sino-Iban

Kenny Michael Moses here...
these are my craps~ some voices from my heart =)


I am Sino-Iban,
we treasure the Christian faith that preached by our forefathers to us...
We live a Christian life~
observing the Laws & holy days...
Who said, Natives are so enjoying with the pagan rituals?
playing with superstitious?
At least,
my house & my long house's relatives,
didn't do it, anymore =)
Most of Iban didn't practise such thing, anymore =)
We're clean & free from bondages~

I am a Sino-Chinese...
I read & write Chinese
I am wearing my Chinese New Year's cloth.
I wear that kind of clothes,
every Chinese New Year~
my family celebrate many festivals...

I am a student...
I had been taught by my grandparents to appreciate education...
We, Natives believed in education can changed one's life~
No longer, a jungle man!
TQ for the good Anglican, Catholic & Methodist missionaries that enlightened our Iban ancestors.

I believe in shooping can make one feel happy =)
I live in the city~
I know what to wear!
I love Padini Authentic & I am a regular customer of The Body Shop.
Who said, we, Native,
are idiots & born to pick low class items?

Aha!
This was how my ancestor looked like...
emmm, a very old old old 'akek' - grandpa
a normal 'fashion' for the Ibans of before 1950~
perhaps some places,
they are some Tuai Kampungs or old men still practised such customes,
but,
majority of us,
are wearing clothes~
modern, casual, formal or whatever,
according to the situation...


Many people asked me,
"What is your race?"
"Are you Chinese? or...?"
"Boy, why you can speak Cantonese?"
"Hey, I know you are Christian! You're Christian-race, right?"
&
"Apu, dek ulih jako Iban? Dek Chinese piak?"

These are the words & questions that happened to came across me...
I had answered the questions,
from my kindergarten time,
until,
now & perhaps future =)

So,
I would like to take the chance given,
in this blog of mine...
To proclaim to the nation... haha~
I am a Sino-Iban.

I was born in a Chinese Iban mix-parentage background.
I speak Cantonese as my mother tongue,
English as my common daily langugae with the community around me,
&
Iban, a dialect of my heritage,
which I spoke with my grandparents,
relatives,
or to whoever know the dialect.
We enjoy pray & sing Hymn in Iban language~

I am a Christian,
my forefathers had been a Christian (Anglican) for long years before our nation gained independent.
We had a firm faith in Jesus Christ.
We believed in education can improve ones' life...
We abandoned gender discrimination...
&
We are happy with all the culturals heritage that past down by our forefathers...

Again,
I am Sino-Iban~


No comments:

Post a Comment